Friday, October 22, 2010

Tips For Drivers From A Cyclist

I'm sure every road cyclist out there has at least one story about how an otherwise distracted driver has nearly taken them out. I know I have more than my fair share, and while I love the feel of the open road while on my bike, I'm also always constantly aware of the traffic, and probably even a bit too cautious at times.

The Esurance Blog has posted a short, but well done article, entitled "Whose Road Is It Anyway? Tips for Drivers from a Cyclist" in which they make some great points for drivers to think about when sharing the road with cyclists. For instance, they point out that drivers should be aware of the cycling laws of their state and know what cyclists can and can't do while on the road. Knowing those things may help them alleviate frustrations with riders and even keep them from hurting someone. The story also stresses the importance of safety at all times when dealing with cyclists as well.

Living in Austin, Texas, a place that Lance Armstrong calls home, I can tell you that there are a lot of cyclists on the roads at various times. Being one myself, I always give them plenty of room and respect, but that isn't often the case when I'm in the saddle. I've had cars cut me off numerous times, and just last week I was nearly hit by a driver coming from the opposite direction who strayed into my lane. He also happened to be talking on the cell phone at the time. Perhaps I should have told him to put down the phone and read this article, but I was too busy holding on tightly to my handlebars at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment