Monday, May 10, 2010

Mongolia 2010 Expedition: Ripley To Resume Trek On May 25th


While I was away in Nepal, Ripley Davenport was launching his Mongolia 2010 Expedition, in which he was planning to trek across Mongolia, pulling all of his gear and supplies behind him in a specially designed cart. Unfortunately, that cart ground to a halt due to a design flaw bringing the journey to a premature end just two days into the trek. Undaunted however, Ripley has announced that he will return to Mongolia in just a few weeks time, and that he'll resume his journey from the exact spot that it came to an unceremonious conclusion, on the 25th of May.

The expedition will cover more than 1700 miles, traveling east to west, across one of the most challenging environments on Earth. Ripley will face weather extremes ranging from blizzards and sub-zero temperatures to very hot and dry conditions as he crosses the Eastern Mongolian Steppe, the Gobi Desert and the Altai Mountain Range al on foot. All the while, he'll be pulling his gear in a new, and improved, trailer, that will allow him to go independently and unsupported on this adventure.

When I returned from my recent trip, one of the first things I did was check on Ripley's progress, and I was saddened to hear about his difficulties with the cart. It seems like he has worked out the kinks in his project now however, and I'm excited to hear that he is going back so soon. I'm sure he is eager to resume the journey as well, and I look forward to updates from Mongolia again soon. I wish Ripley the best of luck on this second outing. Hopefully it'll be much more successful this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment