Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Cool Podcasts!

I mentioned last week that I had picked up a new iPod. A new 8GB iPod Nano to be exact. I was long over due to replace my older, aging, hard drive based digital audio player, and the newly enhanced Nano fit the bill. It's flash memory based, which is much better for running, working out, and doing anything where motion is involved. On top of that, the new metal casing is much more resistant to wear and tear than the older Nano. Anyway, in using the device for a week now, and I've come to discover the joys of a good podcast. I've listened to a number of them in the past, and my old player would play them as well, but the iPod and iTunes just makes it so easy to subscribe to them and automatically download them to the Nano.

I wanted to point out two of these in particular that I am enjoying. The first is Endurance Planet which focuses on training for running, triathlons, cycling, adventure racing and more. The current episode is on mountaineering of all things. I've listened to a number of their programs in the past, but they'll now be a staple on my new Nano, and if you're into competitive outdoor sports, I'd highly recommend giving them a listen. You'll find tips on training, information on upcoming events, and some great insights from professionals in the sports. The other podcast that has caught my ear is the Wildebeat which deals more with camping, hiking, backpacking and other outdoor activities. Both podcasts have a wealth of back episodes to keep you busy, and with new ones coming out all the time, they should have something to interest everyone. You can download them from their respective websites, or if you have an iPod you can subscribe to them directly in iTunes. As I find other podcasts of interest, I'll be sure to post them here.

Along with the new Nano, I also bought a Nike Armband for running, which I can already tell you is excellent and worth the money. But I also purchased the Nike+ system to use while working out. I've had a chance to mess with it a little and I'll write a comprehensive review when I've had more experience with it. Right now though, I can say that it's a very promising device for runners. Certainly a useful item for training.

No comments:

Post a Comment