Monday, October 8, 2007

Joe Simpson Takes Us into The Beckoning Silence


I came across this story thanks to a post over at the Best Hike Blog, who in turned grabbed it from The Piton. I think I have all my sources covered. ;)

Anyway, Joe Simpson of Touching The Void fame is back with a new film based upon his one of his other books entitled The Beckoning Silence. Joe lends his voice for narration duties this time out, as he tells the tale of a famous 1936 climb on The Eiger that has become part of mountaineering lore. On that climb, all four men were killed, the last, caught up in his own ropes, hanging upside down, just feet away from rescuers, who still couldn't get to him in time.

Simpson's latest effort will air on TV in the U.K., but will hopefully get picked up to be aired here in the States eventually as well. In my estimation, Touching The Void may well be the greatest mountaineering film ever. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment