Friday, September 19, 2008

Castelli Insolito Radiation Cycling Jacket


Both the Feed The Habit and Outside Blog had blurbs about the new Catelli Insolito Radiation Cycling Jacket today, the latter in the form of a Gear Junkie Scoop.

This very cool looking and high tech jacket is designed to be a three season, jack-of-all-trades for cyclists that includes "a stretchy, fluorescent-yellow face fabric, zip-off sleeves, vents, and a liner of metalized polyester". The jacket is designed to be modular, allowing you to add or subtract sleeves, a hood, and the liner as needed. The jacket is rated for use from 25 to 65 degrees Fahrenheit and is breathable as well as water resistant, although it's better used against snow and sleet than rain.

With Hurricane Ike passing through my area recently, temperatures have dropped quite nicely, and while we're enjoying 80 degree days, my evening rides have actually become a bit cool. I actually decided a few nights ago that I should be in the market for a new cycling jacket before Fall really sets in, as I'm sure it'll be necessary once Winter hits. Reading the previews on this piece of gear made it sound like it would be the perfect companion for cool weather rides. Than I found the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, which clocks in at an eye-popping $499. While I'm sure it's worth the price, that's more than I want to pay, so unless someone sends me one to review, I think I'll be dropping by REI for a more affordable option. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment